The Beta Omega Chapter of Sigma Chi
The Beta Omega Chapter of Sigma Chi was founded on April 22, 1922. At the time of it’s founding, it became Sigma Chi’s 86th chapter and Canada’s first chapter.
Located at the University of Toronto and Ryerson University, in Toronto, Ontario, the Beta Omega Chapter is the preeminent collegiate leadership development organization on it’s campus.
The chapter is active both terms of the year: Fall and Winter. It holds numerous social, philanthropic and leadership building events in and around the Toronto area.
To read about chapter news and find out about the events it hosts, see the section.
To find out more about the Beta Omega Chapter, please see the Beta Omega Chapter website.
excerpts from “The Centennial History of the Sigma Chi Fraternity” by Robert M. Collett, Denison ’15.
After 67 years as a national organization, Sigma Chi went international when it installed Beta Omega Chapter at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, April 22, 1922.
The “daddy” of this first Canadian chapter was Ralph Connable, who was vice president and general manager of the F.W. Woolworth Company in Canada and whose home was in Toronto. In fact, it was in his palatial home that the initiation ceremonies were held.
Judge DeGraff was installing officer and was assisted by an imposing array of Sigma Chi “brass”, consisting of Grand Consul Joseph T. Miller, Judge Ferris, Howard Ferris Jr., John B. McPherson, Alex A. Sharp, and Carmi Smith. The last named was a chaptermate of Brother Connable at Albion.
Just before initiation a luncheon was served at the National Club in downtown Toronto to which the fathers of the petitioners were invited. Past Grand Consuls Ferris and DeGraff told the group about the ideals and objectives of Sigma Chi and enthusiastic responses were made by a number of the fathers. A member of the Fraternity was seated beside each parent.
After the splendid initiation ceremony the whole group went directly to the banquet room of the King Edward Hotel, later to be the site of the 1957 Grand Council. Scottish pipers were on hand and “gave” with some delightful music. Grand Consul Joseph T. Miller welcomed the first Canadian chapter into the fold. Judge Ferris occupied his usual place on the program – last.
That wonderful Sig, Ralph Connable, bore the entire expense of the installation!