The Gamma Rho Chapter of Sigma Chi at Dalhousie & St. Mary’s

The Gamma Rho Chapter of Sigma Chi

The Gamma Rho Chapter of Sigma Chi was founded on May 5, 1933. At the time of it’s founding, it became Sigma Chi’s 94th chapter and Canada’s third chapter.

Located at the Dalhousie University and at St. Mary’s University, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Gamma Rho Chapter is the preeminent collegiate leadership development organization between the two campuses.

The chapter is active both terms of the year: Fall and Winter. It holds numerous social, philanthropic and leadership building events in and around the Halifax area.

To read about chapter news and find out about the events it hosts, see the events section.

A bit of history :

excerpts from “The Centennial History of the Sigma Chi Fraternity” by Robert M. Collett, Denison ’15.

Sigma Chi added materially to its Canadian strength when its 94th active chapter, the third to be established in the Dominion, was installed at the then 115-year-old Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, on May 5 and 6, 1933, as Gamma Rho Chapter.

The induction of 31 active and alumni members of the local fraternity, Delta Tau, into Sigma Chi took place at the initiation ceremonies held at the Lord Nelson Hotel.

The Nova Scotian Hotel was the scene of the installation banquet which the Halifax newspapers described as the largest college fraternity dinner that had ever been held in the city. J. Beverly Milner, Toronto ’25, who, until the installation of Gamma Rho, had the distinction of being the only Sig living in Halifax, was toastmaster. The first two men on the program were Past Grand Praetor John B. McPherson and Col. Alex Sharp, who had come from Boston and Chicago, respectively.

The two main addresses were delivered by Grand Tribune-Grand Historian Joseph C. Nate [known as the Eighth Founder of Sigma Chi] and the Rev. George Caleb Moor, pastor of the Madison Avenue Baptist Church of New York City.